Sunday, November 21, 2010

Yoga Teacher Training: A teacher called pain

"I choose to ignore that pop I just heard"
"Is my kidney supposed to hurt in downward dog?"
"I am going to get my knee in lotus position if I have to tear my ACL to do  it!"
"It's supposed to hurt, right?"

If you have silently said these things to yourself during your yoga practice you are not alone. As beneficial as yoga is to the entire system, some poses...pose a risk. Knees and shoulders are susceptible, as are lower back, elbows and wrists. This is where awareness and honesty must be part of a practice.

I can tell you that I have powered through warning signs. It's not worth it. In fact, it is not what yoga intends for us. However, we live in a world that says, "No pain, no gain," "Push through the pain", "Never quit", etc.

In yoga these beliefs can cause injury. Many positions put joints in a somewhat vulnerable position and if not respected and practiced with mindful awareness things can happen. The concept of backing off is terribly important. Subtle shifts can alleviate improper alignment. It is about awareness and knowledge of correct alignment.

As a student teacher I am very focused on learning as much as possible about proper alignment and ensuring that the student understands what that is for each pose. But ultimately, people will do what they want. Sometimes the best teacher is pain. Physical, emotional...it forces us into awareness and change...sometimes!

I have experienced this type of injury by going too deeply into a side stretch and overextending my hip. Geuss what? I am now very aware of what my body is telling me in side stretches.

Thank you pain!!!

1 comment:

  1. Useful information shared..Iam very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.for more details something like visit pain clinic san antonio get more informations.

    ReplyDelete